Date: June 25, 2005
H.E. Kofi A. Anaan
The United Nations
New York, USA
- E. Kofi A. Anaan,
Muslims Against Terrorism (MAT) was founded in Calgary, Alberta, Canada on January 11, 1999. The main objective of MAT is to create awareness about the dangers of violence and terrorism. The tragedy of 9/11 brought more focus on MAT and this small Calgary based organization spread rapidly all over the world. We now have chapters in Canada, USA, UK,Netherlands, Pakistan, Australia, Malaysia, Singapore and several other countries. MAT also works with other organizations to promote tolerance and peace in the communities.
His Excellency, We know that United Nations recognizes and honours the victims of various genocide and holocaust including the holocaust and genocide of Jews, Christians, Aboriginals, and several other communities. However, we are very surprised that neither the United Nations, nor any other world body recognizes the Muslim victims of various Holocausts and Genocides.
In 2002, MAT and several other Muslim organizations declared July 15 as a “Muslims Holocaust and Genocide Remembrance Day”. Please allow me to give you some of the highlights of Muslim’s Holocausts and Genocides.
The first Holocaust against Muslims was carried out by the crusaders. On Friday, July 15, 1099 the crusaders captured Jerusalem and murdered thousands of Muslims. More than 70, 000 dead bodies of Muslim children and women were found in the Mosque of Omar in Jerusalem alone.
There have been several other Holocausts and genocides of Muslims;
- Ganges Khan and his forces killed more than a million Muslims during the occupation of Iraq and neighboring areas.
- Thousands of Muslims were killed / forced to change religion by Spanish Crusaders in South America
- More than a million Muslims were killed / displaced by Spanish and other European extremists during the rebellion against the Ottoman Empire.
- More than 3 million Muslims were killed / displaced by the European colonial powers during and after the occupation of Muslim countries after World War I and II.
- More than 5 million Muslims were killed / displaced by Tsars of Russia
- More than a million Muslims were killed / displaced by Communist Government of Russia
- More than 1/2 million Muslims were killed / displaced in East European countries during the communist governments.
- More than 1.5 million Muslims have been killed in China, Cambodia, Vietnam, and other Far East countries since the world war II
- More than half million Muslims have been killed / displaced in Burma since World War II
- More than half million Muslims have been killed in India and Kashmir since 1947
- More than half million Muslims were killed by Serbs and Croats in Bosnia during early 90s.
- More than 100,000 Muslims were killed in Kosovo and Albania during mid 90s.
- More than 5 million Muslims have been killed / displaced in Palestine since 1948
- More than 6 million Muslims were killed / displaced by the Russian occupation of Afghanistan
- Thousands of Muslims have been killed by the secular governments in Muslim countries, backed by the Western Governments, since the independence from the colonial powers.
- Currently, hundreds of innocent civilians have been killed by the American forces in Iraq and Afghanistan
We would like to request you to declare July 15 as a “Muslims Holocaust and Genocide Remembrance Day”. We are also urging all fellow human beings to remember the Muslim victims of so many Holocausts and Genocides on July 15.
MAT, Ontario chapter will be holding a memorial service on Friday, July 15, 2005 at the Burnhamthorpe Community Centre, 1500 Gulleden Drive in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Coincidently, this year July 15 falls on Friday. The first holocaust of Muslims was also on Friday, July 15, 1099.
The executives of MAT and several other Canadian Muslim organizations would like to meet with you in order to discuss and provide more details on our request. I am looking forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you
Syed B. Soharwardy
CC: Media Organizations